Subject: Re: router
To: Dr. Richard Lin <lin@mail.nsysu.edu.tw>
From: John Franklin <franklin@elfie.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/07/2002 23:49:35
On Mon, Apr 08, 2002 at 11:34:05AM +0800, Dr. Richard Lin wrote:
> I would like to run a host as a router, but I need not run the RIP in the
> router (i.e., I would use the static routing table). Which daemon should I
> run in the router? (routed, gated or others) Thanks.

routed, gated and router daemons like them don't actually perform any
routing themselves.  They manipulate the kernel's static routing tables

If you're routing needs are not dynamic in nature - that is, you don't
have multiple routes to any machines - then you don't need any router
daemons.  Just set up the routes in the table with the route(8) program.

man route for details.

jf
--
John Franklin