Subject: Re: FW: IBM Thinkpad 340
To: Stephen R. Ceasar <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: None <kingv@fatboy.netbsd.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/01/2002 19:25:53
Steve,
	I have a Zenith 425L laptop with a 160mb hdd and 3.7mb usable RAM. I was
able to get 1.5.2 installed without too much trouble. After the partitions
were created, I had to exit the installer and enable the swap. You may need
to do the same. I used the Tiny-Install and have since trimmed the kernel
down to about 860k.
	I also have a 755Cs ThinkPad. It has 7.7mb usable ram and a 160mb hdd. IBM's
diagnostic utility gives it a clean bill of health. I can't get anything,
linux distros included, to install on this machine except win3.11 and most
3.11 software won't install either. I suspect the reason for this is a very
old BIOS, maybe the one it was shipped with. IBM's flash utility will not
execute unless the machine is plugged in and the battery is fully charged. My
battery is junk and I gave up on the project after far too many hours of
trying. I've read where others have successfully installed NetBSD on the 755
and other old ThinkPads. What worked for those folks did not work for me.
Good luck, Todd