Subject: Re: Hard Drive in 520 byte/sector.
To: Brad Spencer <brad@anduin.eldar.org>
From: Thomas Mueller <tmueller@bluegrass.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/01/2002 03:04:52
from Brad Spencer <brad@anduin.eldar.org>:

> I also have two SCSI drives that have 520 byte sectors.  They are IBM
> drives, and from the little bit of information I found, they were probably
> pulled from an AS400 system.  No proof for this, but it is the nearest
> thing I have found, other then firmware bugs, that would explain this sort
> of thing.

> I think I tried to low level format them on a Sun Sparc, using the NetBSD
> format command, but I don't think that it worked.

I guess taking a disk from a strange architecture would carry incompatibility
risks.  I wonder if DOS, Linux, MS-Windows or Mac could access such a disk.

Now I've been getting bounce notices from postmaster@collegeclub.com for
messages I sent to this list successfully but where somebody else on the list
who would receive the message through the list had a full inbox.