Subject: diskless boot ?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Patrick Welche <prlw1@newn.cam.ac.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/06/2002 16:36:58
I'm getting stuck on my first diskless boot. The idea is to try to figure
out what is wrong with someone's broken windoze box by running an all
singing all dancing kernel on it, but the only working interface seems to be
the network. It's a Compaq Evo N150 (fxp0).

I thought the plan was on the server:
- set up a suitable root and export it via nfs.
- add entries to dhcpd.conf to point to the kernel to grab via tftp.
On the client:
- select Network boot in the BIOS.

Now the bind:
- the dhcp request is successful
- tftp transfer commences, but:

PXE-E3A: TFTP too many packages
PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel PXE ROM.

Apparently that error is because the kernel is larger than 512k. (I'm going
for 4Mb or 1.4Mb bzipped)

Is their a "download small bootloader" stage in the above that I am missing?
(which could then grab the large kernel and load it)

Cheers,

Patrick