Subject: Re: Win2000 and NetBSD 1.5.2
To: Steven Grunza <steven_grunza@ieee.org>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/27/2002 12:09:31
In message <5.1.0.14.0.20020227113825.00aaed08@pop.netzero.net>, Steven Grunza
writes:
>During my vacation last week the IT folk here modified my PC from WindowsME
>to Windows 2000 Professional.  My NetBSD partition was probably not touched
>since it's in the last 1/4 of the drive (first 30GB Win****, last 10GB
>NetBSD).  I use a MSDOS boot floppy and dosboot.com to boot from the second
>partition.
>
>I know I'll need to boot to single user mode and change the /etc/fstab
>entry for the Winblows partition from MS-DOS to something else.  Anyone
>know what?  I'll read the man pages but my guess is ntfs.
>
>How is the NetBSD support for NT file systems?  Anyone have any experience
>with it?  Thanks for any help.  Since I don't have the Win2K CDROM if I
>munge the disk I'll need IT's help to get it back again which is something
>I really don't want to do....

Check before you do anything -- many Win2k installations (including my
laptop's) use FAT32.  But I haven't converted that to NTFS because my
understanding is that win2k's NTFS is enough different that the NetBSD
support isn't good enough.

		Full text of "Firewalls" book now at http://www.wilyhacker.com