Subject: Re: page fault on boot
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: kent <kent@goatnospamhill.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/25/2002 01:23:49
On 24 Feb 2002 14:30:00 -0600, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 24, 2002 at 03:52:07AM +0000, kent wrote:
>> I have a 1.5.2 box that locked up a few times. Now on boot it
>> pagefaults, whether booting from floppy or hd:
>>
>> (from 1.5.2 install floppies)
>
> This could be hardware problem, most likely a bad RAM.

I had pretty much determined it was a hardware error, but I ran
memtest86 through a couple of complete cycles and it found nothing.
Since there is only a gfx card, nic and ram in the box, and it
works the same with and without the nic, it appears that the hardware
failure is not triggered when one runs mem86.  I have re-inserted
all of the cards and cables (and the cpu) in the system, which
doesn't appear to affect anything.

Interestingly, memtest86 runs with no problem.  When I can boot
NetBSD, it will run until I do something as trivial as select
another window under twm. Then it freezes and again pagefaults on
boot. Again, memtest runs fine every time, but it appears that I
can only boot NetBSD if I let the box remain powered off for some
time. Is this starting to sound like the cpu is failing???

Thanks