Subject: Re: New IDE controller.
To: Roine Thunberg <artee@garderoben.ath.cx>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/24/2002 14:50:20
> > I suppose that that's the way to narrow it down.  Is there an easy way to
> > find out what scripts are being run in which order?
> >
> Check /etc/defaults/rc.conf if you are starting some unnessecary
> rc.d-scripts

I don't touch the defaults dir, only /etc/rc.conf.  If there was something
in /etc/defaults/rc.conf that killed the system performance, *everyone*
should be suffering.

> silly question again... in what architechture are you running. 386, 486

Architecture is i386 (thus my post to port-i386).

The system is an Athlon 800MHz with 128MB of RAM.

It is easily outperformed (for things like starting X) by a plain Pentium
233mHz laptop.  The laptop is about 3 or 4 years older than the desktop (I
bought the laptop used just this fall).

(Yes, the X configuration on the two is essentially identical.  I use twm
with some slightly customized menus on each.  The startup environment on
each is an xconsole, two xterms, xload, and oclock.  Also, just about
anything else that you care to pick is *much* slower to load/start on the
Athlon system, unless the binary and data are already in memory.)