Subject: Re: SDL performance stunningly bad?
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Jonathan R. Hinds <jon@fork.yi.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/23/2002 04:02:15
On Tue, 19 Feb 2002, Peter Seebach wrote:

> The gears screensaver isn't *fast*, but it's not slow.  GLTron is maybe 2-3
> fps; the gears screensaver is probably in the 20-30 range.
>
> It's probably a lack of support for Savage IX hardware in Mesa.

Once we get DRI support in NetBSD, we will get full hardware accelerated
OpenGL. On a linux box with a Matrox G400, I would get 100+ frames per
second in gears. On a different box, with a Voodoo 3 and NetBSD 1.5ZA, I
would get around 28fps.

If we are talking about Xfree 4.X and OpenGL, I don't think that Mesa has
to support your hardware at all, Xfree has to. Someone please correct me
if I am wrong, or if anyone knows how to get fully accelerated openGL in
NetBSD.

--jon