Subject: Re: New IDE controller.
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/21/2002 20:59:36
> > > Some time ago, I was reporting terrible performance problems with my IDE

 [...stuff about the Highpoint controller elided...]

> > (a) Would NetBSD have had any chance to recover if I let it?  It didn't
> > actually *say* that it was panicking, but it also seemed pretty dead.
>
> If it's the problem I'm thinking about, it's really dead because the
> motherboard is locked up at hardware level (I suspect the PCI bus is
> locked, and block RAM access from the CPU)

Eek.

> > (b) Are there known problems with the ``Triones/Highpoint HPT366/370 IDE

 [...]

> I found a bug some time ago in the interrupt handling of the HPT. This is
> fixed in -current and 1.5.3_ALPHA since at last a week (I don't remember

Thanks, I'll go grab a 1.5.3_ALPHA kernel and see if that helps.

> the exact date). You can fix it by using a recent 1.5.3_ALPHA kernel,
> or work around it by using only one channel of the HPT and making sure it
> doesn't share interrupt with something else.

I'm not sure about it sharing interrupts, but it only had one cable
attached to it, and that cable went to only one device.  (So unless my
hard drive can use two channels somehow...only one channel was used.
(^&)

Also, it may be worth pointing out that the HPT controller comes up with
*two* pciide controllers in dmesg.  (pciide0 is the VIA motherboard
controller; pciide1 and pciide2 are the single HPT controller.  Is this
normal for this controller?)