Subject: Re: networking booting "appliances"
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Valtteri Vuorikoski <vuori@puuhamaa.magenta.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/20/2002 01:27:59
Tom Spindler <dogcow@babymeat.com> writes:

> For what it's worth, at work we use GRUB to netboot all of our
> 1.5.2 workstations. As far as loading a ramdisk goes, you may want
> to go the route that INSTALL kernels use, and combine the kernel+image
> into a single file.

I attempted to do this with a largish (24MB) ramdisk image in the
kernel on the Soekris net4501 box. The kernel would be loaded and the
machine would reboot immediately after it started running, before
anything was displayed by the kernel itself.

I looked at bug reports and list archives but didn't find anything
more recent that a report of a similar problem in 1.4.1 (and no