Subject: Re: MSI Motherboard with VIA Bridges
To: Kevin Sexton <sexton@serasystems.com>
From: Bang Jun-Young <junyoung@mogua.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/18/2002 11:48:28
On Tue, Feb 12, 2002 at 04:10:40PM -0800, Kevin Sexton wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am researching a motherboard brand before making a purchase.  If this
> is the wrong place to go, my apologies.  If there is a better place to
> ask this question, please let me know.  I am also not on the list so if
> replies were sent directly to me that would be great.
>
> I am looking at purchasing a Microstar motherboard (MS-6378L 2.0A) shown
> here:
>
> http://www.msicomputer.com/product/detail_spec/MS6378L_2a.htm
>
> which features VIA bridge chips, namely the VIA KLE133 VT8361A chipset
> (North-Bridge 510 BGA) and the VIA 686B chipset (South-Bridge 352 BGA).
>
> Does anyone have this motherboard operating reliably at present? (with
> NetBSD 1.5.2) If so, are there any limitations or gotchas?

All MSI motherboards I used at home so far, suck (MS-6199VA, K7T Pro,
K7T Pro2, K7T Turbo, and K7T266). They have significantly low memory
transfer performance in common and have some bugs that cause instability.
So I will never buy MSI products again.

Recently I bought Soltek 75DRV2 and am satisfied with its price,
performance, stability, and ease of overclocking. It's a recommended
product by Tom's Hardware Guide and many other benchmark sites.

Jun-Young

--
Bang Jun-Young <junyoung@mogua.com>