Subject: Re: how to get lm sensor data?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Laine Stump <lainestump@rcn.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/08/2002 17:05:45
George Sollish <gsollish@mail.gisco.net> writes:

> On Fri, 8 Feb 2002, Paul Goyette wrote:
>
> > On a related note, how can I tell (without removing and inspecting
> > the motherboard) if I have the necessary LMxx chip?  Will a GENERIC
> > kernel probe for it successfully, even if not located at the standard
> > ISA port?  If not, will the GENERIC kernel at least find something at
> > the actual port and report an unknown device at that port?
>
> GENERIC won't see it.  Build a custom kernel with "lm0 at ..."
> uncommented.  For output 'envstat /dev/sysmon' or install gkrellm from
> pkgsrc.

Similarly, if you want to be able to look at VIA hardware monitor
stuff with envstat, you should put:

  # VIA VT82C686A hardware monitor
  viapm*  at pci? dev ? function ?
  viaenv* at viapm?

in your kernel config. I have both that and:

   # LM7[89] and compatible hardware monitors
   lm0    at isa? port 0x290   # other common ports: 0x280, 0x310

in the kernel I put on all my machines, and it doesn't seem to cause
any problems for those machines that don't have either piece of
hardware. I don't remember where I got the information that the lm
device would be on the isa bus at port 290 - it's been a couple years
at least since I put that in my config.