Subject: Re: Multi proc support
To: James Webster <james3838@tsi-net.com>
From: Andy R <quadreverb@yahoo.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/05/2002 14:31:09
--- James Webster <james3838@tsi-net.com> wrote:
> I've been using NetBSD for a number of years as a
> hobbiest, but I just was asked to setup a *nix
> system at work to do some bench marking.  The
> hardware I have is a compaq DL380 with 4 procs and a
> SmartStart Raid controller.  I found the Raid
> controller in the hardware compatibility list, but I
> couldnt find any info on multi-proc support in
> NetBSD.

The "next big thing" for NetBSD is multi processor
support. I believe it's supposed to be "GA" in 1.6. It
may work with current. Worth a try anyway. I tried to
run it on my dual machine but there was some twiddling
to do that I never did. It may be farther along by
now.

> I was asked to run it on Linux at first, but I was
> unable to locate drivers for the Raid controllers,
> so I'm hoping I can run this on more familiar
> territory.

Run FreeBSD if you really have to have multi cpu
support. May as well keep it in the family! Don't know
about multi cpu performance of FreeBSD vs. Linux
(probably flame war bait), but I was led to believe
that FreeBSD's implementation was better. I'm not
technical enough to know the how and why.

Andy