Subject: Athlon XP SSE flag not set? (AMD's response)
To: None <hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-audit@freebsd.org>
From: None <marc.miller@amd.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/05/2002 11:42:51
Sorry for the cross-post, but this may be relevant to multiple operating systems.  Some users have noticed that on certain motherboards the SSE flag is not being detected when using an Athlon XP, even though all Athlon XP processors we have produced to date support SSE.  AMD responds with the following:

- Our website has supported motherboards.

- These motherboards have BIOSes that enable SSE on AthlonXP.

- The end user should upgrade their BIOS if they have these motherboards.

- If BIOS upgrade doesn't work for a listed MB, contact AMD (ask.amd.com) and the MB vendor.

- If the MB is not on our list of recommended MB and does not properly enable SSE on Athlon XP, call the MB vendor to find out why not.

Marc J. Miller
Open Source Relations Engineer
marc.miller@amd.com
1-800-538-8450 x43325