Subject: Re: looking for small, quiet, low-power firewall
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/02/2002 15:14:54
On Sat, Feb 02, 2002 at 02:31:20PM +0100, Wojciech Puchar wrote:
> > 2) If you somehow get PCI IDE onto the box, it won't do you a whole lot of
> >    good, because the machine's CPU is a truly stupid design -- a 133MHz
> >    486 core connected internally to a 133MHz, 64-bit-wide SDRAM controller
> >    by a 32-bit-wide, 33MHz pipe!  AMD's documentation is somewhat unclear
>
> are you sure SDRAM controller is 64-bit?
>
> it's said 32-bit in AMD docs. and sayd 100MB/s memory bus peak (4*32=133
> so it's possible).

I don't see how it matters whether the block diagram says the SDRAM
controller is 32- or 64- bit; as I said, I've tested the memory bandwidth
of the machine and it is exactly correct for a 32-bit, 33MHz bus, as I
said before.

> could you please do
>
> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/null bs=4m count=1024 (will take some time)
> and post output ?

No, I won't waste my time by doing that.  For one thing, it's a completely
crappy test of memory bandwidth; for another, as I *already said*, the
machine has the memory bandwidth you'd expect with a 32-bit, 33MHz pipe
between the CPU and memory controller, and, as I said, I know that because
I tested it (with a benchmark that doesn't suck, not the one you cut-and-
pasted from somewhere and are insisting that I run).

Why is it so important to you to waste so much of everyone else's time
trying to seem like you're knowledgeable?

Thor