Subject: Re: looking for small, quiet, low-power firewall
To: Valtteri Vuorikoski <vuori@puuhamaa.magenta.net>
From: Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@chylonia.3miasto.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/02/2002 14:10:09

> I recently ordered one to Finland (it's currently shipping), the cost
> using Global Express Mail was a bit over $30 with the metal case. I'd
> expect the price to be similar to Poland. There's a link to a USPS

quite lots. it should me much less with higher quantities or without case.
second option sounds best as here is not a problem to find small case and
single-voltage power supply

> rate calculator on the soekris.com "How to order" page, you can use
> that to calculate the price.
>
> I don't think the case weighs very much, it's small and doesn't
> contain heavy parts (ie. a power supply).
>
> Has anyone booted one of these directly to NetBSD using PXE? If yes,
> what did you use as a boot loader? GRUB? (The only OS I've ever booted
> with PXE was FreeBSD and they have an 'official' pxeboot.)

i would probably use an option of booting anything other (linux) and write
before-prepared flash image then.

or - for those who has CF-USB or similar interface can just write flash on
desktop machine.