Subject: Re: Shuttle SV24 firewire success with -current
To: None <lainestump@rcn.com, port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Andy R <quadreverb@yahoo.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/26/2002 11:28:26
--- lainestump@rcn.com wrote:
> I blatantly ignored all the negative reports of VIA
> chipsets and
> ordered one of the Shuttle SV24 systems. It arrived
> yesterday.
>
> After putting in a spare CPU and RAM, and a disk
> that already had a
> recent -current on it and getting it booted up, I
> built a kernel with
> fwohci and fw support built in, rebooted, and the
> firewire ports were
> recognized. I connected one of these ports to the
> IBM cardbus firewire
> on my laptop, ifconfiged the fw network interfaces,
> and proceeded to
> communicate between the two machines. Yay! :-)
>
> ttcp between the machines seems to be CPU-bound to
> about 15MBytes/sec
> (for now I just have a 336Mhz Celeron in the
> Shuttle. The laptop is
> 500Mhz PIII). Is this because of:
>
> 1) That's just as fast as the network stack can go
> on these machines,
>    regardless of the speed/intelligence of the
> network hardware.
>
> 2) some oddity wrt turning firewire into a network
> interface.
>
> 3) A cheap firewire hardware implementation on one
> end or the other.
>
> ??
>
> Next step - buy a firewire enclosure for my CD-RW.
> (Oh, and do
> something to quiet down the damn PS fan! What a
> whiner!)
>
> BTW, for those insistent on having a Tualatin (or
> however it's
> spelled) PIII, it looks like Shuttle is getting
> ready to release the
> "FV25" motherboard, which is identical to the FV24,
> but has the
> chipset that supports these new CPUs.

Thanks a lot for this info. I'm intrigued by the
possibility of using firewire devices on NetBSD. The
hard drives are cheaper than scsi, but more than IDE.
Which is fine, I'm not a huge IDE fan. And the SV24 is
just such a cool looking little machine... If the new
one is only an upgrade to the new processor, I'd
probably still go for the old one as it's price drops
and drops...

Andy