Subject: Re: mt command
To: Andy R <quadreverb@yahoo.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/25/2002 20:20:54
On Fri, Jan 25, 2002 at 05:11:13AM -0800, Andy R wrote:
> So let's change the context here. I use a DDS2 drive
> to backup my home directory. I've just kind of taken
> it for granted that it will fit on one tape. How do I
> know when I've run out of tape?
>
> I see in the mt(1) page there is a command called
> rdhpos. I think this command will work to show the
> "hardware block" that the tape is at if it hasn't
> rewound. So how do I know how many hardware blocks
> there are?
>
> Sorry, I'm a tape newbie...

I think it depeds on your tape drive, and media. On my DLT7000, I can fit
from 35 to 40GB (after compression) depending on the media manufacturer.

However newer tape drive can return a EOT condition when they're at the end
of tape, and some backup tools (dump at last) can deal with it.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>