Subject: Re: Kill unkillable process
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Scott Barron <sb125499@oak.cats.ohiou.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/24/2002 19:09:26
On Fri, Jan 25, 2002 at 10:57:24AM +1100, iware wrote:
> I am running NetBSD 1.5.2 and mounted a tape drive using
>
> mt -f /dev/nrst0 rewind
>
> I was bit impatient and manual ejected the tape before the process being
> finished.
>
> Now I have a uncontrollable process
>
> bash-2.05# ps uxw|grep mt
> root  2844  0.0  0.0   64    48 p1- D     4:50PM  0:00.00 mt -f /dev/nrst0
> rewind
>
> I 've tried a no. of ways to kill it and it still exist (or not). When I
> issued mt command, the device is busy.
>
> bash-2.05# mt -f /dev/nrst0 rewind
> mt: /dev/nrst0: Device busy
>
> When I do "top" I cannot see the process but ps show that the process is
> still there.
>
> How can I kill this run-away process without rebooting the system??
>
> David Kwok

I don't think so.  D is an uninterruptable wait (as seen from ps(1)) and
I don't know of know an way to kill a process hung here than to reboot
the machine.  It might be possible that it will fix itself if whatever
it was waiting on (tape drive I'm sure) becomes ready again but I have
never dealt with a situation where I could make that happen to test it.

-Scott