Subject: Re: scroll wheel on i386?
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Matthias Drochner <M.Drochner@fz-juelich.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/24/2002 21:35:31
seebs@plethora.net said:
> the mouse really isn't using the intellimode protocol - but it has a
> functioning scroll wheel

If one looks at the Xfree86 sources, there are 4 or so protocol variations
for scroll wheel mice. None of them explicitely refers to a "logitech
trackman wheel", but one might fit. It would take a bit of testing
to find out which.

> the regular psm driver probably ought to know about
> scroll wheels

It's not that easy unfortunately - it is kind of disappointing for me myself,
but it seems that the "intellimouse" protocol was just the most widely used
one up to now, and this didn't keep vendors from developing own modifications
- for little gain, as it appears to me.

best regards
Matthias