Subject: Re: DECpc 420SX
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: -P.Chase <paypachase@collegeclub.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/18/2002 13:04:47
------=_Part_3846_6568663.1011387887488

A friend of mine gave me a computer to look at for them to see what I could do with it. It's a DECpc 420SX. I looked on the web for info concerning this model but found little. I haven't opened it up yet to see how much memory it has. It has windows 3.1 for workgroups. I wasn't able to find out what the system configuration is though, anyone know how to do this in win 3.1? Also the BIOS seems to go directly to MS-DOS, i have to check the version and revision but anyone know how to get the menu? thanx
-P.

Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com> wrote:

>On Fri, Jan 18, 2002 at 12:47:03PM -0600, Peter Seebach wrote:
>> In message <Pine.NEB.4.33.0201181045070.3107-100000@rivendell.starwolf.com>, Gr
>> eywolf writes:
>> >Pardon my ignorance, but is VIA the only chipset that supports the
>> >AMD processors?
>>
>> Sort of.  I don't think there's any AMD boards without VIA parts.
>
>That's not right.  There are pure-AMD boards (the multiprocessor ones,
>because the VIA southbridge doesn't work in multiprocessor configurations),
>as well as quite a few motherboards using the SiS 735 and ALi MaGiK
>chipsets.
>
>I have had much worse experience with ALi chipsets than VIA ones; the SiS
>chipset seems just fine but doesn't support ECC.
>
>VIA's problems seem to have mostly stemmed from bad northbridge (memory
>controller) implementations.  The best bet right now is probably one of
>the boards like the Abit KG7, with an AMD northbridge and VIA southbridge,
>or a multiprocessor board that's straight-up AMD.
>
>Avoid the Asus board with the AMD/VIA combination, though; they cut
>corners on the motherboard design and consequently ECC doesn't work.
>
>--
> Thor Lancelot Simon	                                      tls@rek.tjls.com
>   But as he knew no bad language, he had called him all the names of common
> objects that he could think of, and had screamed: "You lamp!  You towel!  You
> plate!" and so on.              --Sigmund Freud

Find the perfect roommate on CollegeClub.com!
Search by gender, age, location and more...
http://navisite.collegeclub.com/channels/apartments

------=_Part_3846_6568663.1011387887488--