Subject: None
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: David <neko@linuxboxen.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/18/2002 10:34:09
On Thu, 17 Jan 2002 20:28:33 +0100 (CET), <wojtek@chylonia.3miasto.net> said:

>  > I'm also interested in experience with the VIA C3, as well as the VIA
>  > PL133 chipset (I remember hearing bad things about VIA chipsets here,
>
>  generally VIA chipsets are crap, made as fast possible, having lot of
>  hardware errors.

	Certainly untrue, though I would think the MVP4 has left a bad taste in
the mouth, the MVP4 and KT133A and KT266A and even the Slot A Athlons's KX133
has been fairly decent- other than having some very rare hardware compatability
issues with SBLive, GeForce2 (easily fixed via BIOS updates), certain SCSI
controller cards, and a few not-so-popular devices.  I personally like VIA, I
can't really think of a real reason why other than that I'm kind of "addicted"
to it.	I'm keen on knowing how a C3 would do on a NetBSD sys, they're not as
fast as any other CPUs the same clock speed are, but they are efficient on the
core voltage and heat- which makes it a wonderful laptop, or light-weight
server end system.

David