Subject: Re: VIA C3 CPU & NetBSD?, VIA PL133 chipset & NetBSD?, Quiet PCs (Was:
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/17/2002 18:24:20
Peter Seebach said:

>k@chylonia.3miasto.net writes:
>>generally VIA chipsets are crap, made as fast possible, having lot of
>>hardware errors.
>
>And I say you're being awfully charitable.

Well, I've got a 1ghz Athlon box with the VIA chipset. I've had it up and
running since June. No crashes or core dumps. I'm running NetBSD 1.5.3_ALPHA
and I've done a make build on it multiple times. Takes about 1 hour and 1o
minutes.

I have 1 20gig IBM EIDE drive and an ACER CDRW IDE drive. The only strangeness
that I've seen here is that the CDRW speed gets downgraded on first access.

cpu0: AMD Athlon Model 4 (Thunderbird) (686-class), 1002.35 MHz
pchb0: VIA Technologies product 0x0305 (rev. 0x03)
ppb0 at pci0 dev 1 function 0: VIA Technologies product 0x8305 (rev. 0x00)
pcib0: VIA Technologies VT82C686A (Apollo KX133) PCI-ISA Bridge (rev. 0x40)
pciide0 at pci0 dev 7 function 1: VIA Technologies VT82C686A (Apollo KX133) ATA
100 controller

Now, if I decide to buy an Athlon XP box, it will have a motherboard with the
AMD chipset. And it will have SCSI drives rather than EIDE.

--
Rick Kelly  rmk@rmkhome.com  www.rmkhome.com