Subject: Re: VIA C3 CPU & NetBSD?, VIA PL133 chipset & NetBSD?, Quiet PCs
To: Laine Stump <lainestump@rcn.com>
From: Steven Sartorius <ssartor@bellatlantic.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/17/2002 19:59:05
on 1/17/02 15:22, Laine Stump at lainestump@rcn.com wrote:

> The only problem with that is that I don't have one of those "another
> room" things ;-) Space is limited in this house, and even more limited
> in the place we'll be moving in 5 months. As a matter of fact, the
> machine this will replace is headless, and the new machine will
> probably be headless as well - it is my internet gateway, file server,
> mail server, web server, etc. I connect to it from a desktop machine
> running VNC. My curiousity about the graphics chip was only idle
> curiousity, just in case I ever decide to play with it.

I've been running my SV24 24/7 for the last month in exactly this way -- as
a headless server.  Given all the negative talk about VIA chipsets maybe
I've just been lucky but I've yet to have any lockups or problems.  I filled
the sole PCI slot with a 3Com Ethernet card and the machine does
routing/file serving/web serving etc. for my home network.  I connect to it
from my aging Mac running VNC PPC.  All in all I've been very happy with my
SV24 (and no, I don't work for Shuttle).

One word of warning though -- be careful putting it together.  Everything
fits but space is tight and its easy to make a mistake!

Good luck,

Steve