Subject: Re: OT: Hardware question (was Re: Mini-PC 'Spacewalker)
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Laine Stump <lainestump@rcn.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/15/2002 15:52:54
Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@theory.cs.uni-bonn.de> writes:

> Uhm - you're aware that a "modern" Intel or AMD CPU burns some 40 or 60 W
> unless it is a special "Laptop" chip?

I unfortunately was unable to find any actual *numbers* for it, but
I've seen two separate reports of people running 933Mhz Via C3
(socket370) CPUs at full speed in the Shuttle SV24 with just a
heatsink. Via's website claims "ultra low power consumption", and
repeatedly uses the word "cool" to describe it. The subject line about
"Power Consumption" mistakenly leads to a performance comparison
chart, though, and when I clicked on a link to datasheets that I found
in the technical support section, it redirected to a marketing blurb
instead.

Also there is the problem that I can't find the Via C3 933 listed on
pricewatch or pricegrabber. Anybody know any other sources?