Subject: Re: Makeing current
To: John Maier <jmaier@midamerica.net>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/14/2002 16:17:31
On Mon, 14 Jan 2002, John Maier wrote:

> I'm trying my hand at building a NetBSD-current build.

[Dropped netbsd-ports from the cc list. "netbsd-ports" is for
discussion of a new port, that is, some hardware that doesn't
currently run NetBSD at all. I suggest you report problems with the
new toolchain to current-users, even if you're not yet running
current, and I've set the Follow-To: header appropriately (I think).]

> I fetch all the src tars from the current directory and extracted them into the /usr/src
> directory...set the DISTDIR and RELEASEDIR env variables.

You probably want DESTDIR. If you only set DISTDIR, it's going to
overwrite your installed binaries. ;-)

> When I attempt a build...
>
> mail2:/usr/src>make distrib
> "Makefile", line 121: Malformed conditional (${USETOOLS} == "yes")
> "Makefile", line 121: Need an operator
> "Makefile", line 123: if-less endif
> "Makefile", line 123: Need an operator
> Fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue

To be sure, that looks like a bug (it should at least balk
gracefully), but the preferred way, as described in BUILDING and
BUILDING.mdoc, is to run "./build.sh". You can also supply the release
and destination directories as arguments to build.sh -- see BUILDING.

Frederick