Subject: Re: booting wrong partition (1.4.1)
To: Anne Bennett <anne@alcor.concordia.ca>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@netbsd.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/14/2002 15:34:14
Anne Bennett wrote:
> >> *Why* is this system's initial boot code apparently
> >> agreeing to boot from my IDE disk (wd0), then sneakily booting from my
> >> SCSI disk (sd0)???

The 'wd' vs. 'sd' distinction in bootloader is not really very big,
bootloader merely asks for BIOS disk number 0, 1, 2 ....  i.e. wd0
== sd0 == hd0, wd1 == sd1 == hd1 etc. Those two exist for history
reasons, and were even g/c'ed on -current (on -current, there is
just the 'hd' form).

Hope that helps,

Jaromir
--
Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org> http://www.NetBSD.org/Ports/i386/ps2.html
-=  Those who would give up liberty for a little temporary safety deserve  =-