Subject: Re: server chipset information request
To: Rui-Xiang Guo , Thomas Michael Wanka <Tom@Wanka.at>
From: Andy R <quadreverb@yahoo.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/10/2002 11:52:54
--- Rui-Xiang Guo <rxg@ms25.url.com.tw> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 10, 2002 at 06:32:06PM +0100, Thomas
> Michael Wanka wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On 10 Jan 2002 at 9:01, Wojciech Puchar wrote:
> > > yes. i read report (in polish) that after cooler
> failure CPU just
> > > melted the socked and almost made fire as it
> even doesn't have
> > > HALT-on-overheat feature present on every intel
> CPU (beginning from
> > > 486 probably)
> >
> > The K7M and the new AMD chipset based boards from
> Asus claim to stop
> > the CPU, allthough I do not think they will be
> able to shut down the
> > system properly without drivers.
>
> How about write a 'envstatd', read the temperature
> form output of envstat,
> if the temperature too high, then halt system
automatically?

That wouldn't work because the processors smoked in
about a few seconds. Ideally, the motherboard would
de-clock the processor and reduce voltage, and then
hopefully the OS could decide whether to continue
limping along, or to gracefully shutdown (sending a
page to some poor schmoe along the way). Don't know if
this is possible, but it sure would be a nice option.

Andy