Subject: Re: NetBSD on Shuttle SV24?
To: NetBSD <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Chip Marshall <chip@setzer.chocobo.cx>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/09/2002 17:00:54
On January 09, 2002, kml@selresearch.net sent me the following:
> In message <B81AA27B.5084%ssartor@bellatlantic.net>Steven Sartorius writes
> >Shuttle has a nifty, cheap 'cube' system available
> >(http://www.shuttleonline.com/sv24.htm) which looks like it would be
> >perfect for a small firewall/router. Everything on the spec sheet
> >seems to be OK with NetBSD but I'm wondering whether anyone has any
> >firsthand experience with one of these?
>
> Did anybody ever try one of these out? I've been hearing that the VIA
> chipsets can be problematic, but other than that it sounds like it
> might be an interesting option for setting up demos in limited
> space...

We've got two of them here. They do pretty well. We've had some lockup
issues with the RealTek ethernet, which is kindof annoying, but since
we won't be using it in the field, it's not major. Overall, I'm pretty
happy with them for the cost. No heat build-up problems, but we're
running them with Celeron 800's, so I wasn't really expecting any. I'd
be interested to hear any reports on the VIA C3 chip in one though. We
were thinking about switching to the C3.

--
Chip Marshall <chip@chocobo.cx>               http://www.chocobo.cx/chip/
GCM/CS d+(-) s+:++ a20>? C++ UB++++$ P+++$ L- E--- W++ N@ o K- w O M+ V--