Subject: Re: server chipset information request
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Michael Wanka <Tom@Wanka.at>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/09/2002 22:27:57
Hi,

On 9 Jan 2002 at 20:52, Daniel Néri wrote:
> Yep, I read that in a datasheet a few seconds after sending the
> message ;-) It does have an on-die thermal diode, but the actual
> monitoring has to be done externally.

IIRC it took the external logic to long to react on siemens systems.

However to me this is a minor problem. I use OC fans and coolers that
enshure, that even in the case of a fan stop in a standard MaCase 19"
chassis the CPU does not overheat enough to cause problems. The only
scenarium that would be fatal is when more than one fan stopped
and/or a cooler would somehow come loose. But to be honest, without
hotswap CPU and memory (or even mainboard) real redundancy is not
possible. My customers do not take hotswap PCI solutions for the
price such systems are at.

What I am interested is the performance I get of serverworks boards:
having a GBit ethernetcard and a raid controller the system seems to
be more performant than a compareable system with other chipsets even
when they have much faster CPUs. The "performance" is the "feeling"
on the workstations connected to the server.

TIA

mike