Subject: VGA advice
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Mark White <mjw@celos.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/05/2002 18:53:52
A while back I added myself to the list of people who've
posted about getting different text modes in wscons... in my
case I want 640x480 pixel text modes, so I can use the whole
of my laptop display.  I managed 640x480 modes, but haven't
managed to get rid of the 40-row offset at the top of the
display yet, so the text vanishes off the bottom instead.

So, I've discovered (using the "vga=ask" bootparam of linux)
that VESA-style modes exist via the laptop's BIOS that do
use the whole display (such as 80x30).  I wondered if
putting the screen into such a mode before initializing the
character generator would help, but (so far) my hideous
attempts with bioscall() in dev/ic/vga.c haven't worked.
Can anybody with more VGA experience than me suggest anything?

It would, as people have probably remarked before, probably
be useful to add a more general facility to get at VESA text
modes through wscons; most of the people who post asking
about this want (eg) 132x50 on i386, which doesn't really
require a full framebuffer driver with all the associated
disadvantages.   Thoughts?  Suggestions on how to implement it?

Mark <><