Subject: Re: NetBSD /X11R6/network settings
To: None <paypachase@collegeclub.com>
From: -P.Chase <paypachase@collegeclub.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/04/2002 10:56:03
------=_Part_4569_1842779.1010170564108

yes ,thank you.
i finally figured it out by playing around with it a bit and after i saw that /dev/com1 wasnt an option. what the hec was i thinking i dont know. i thought i had seen com1 listed during the boot and figured it would be under /dev. anyway i have both systems up and running now with X functioning.

Next Problem(s):

I have two NICs in each box one 3com 10BaseT,xxx,10Base2 and one SMC EZethernet 10BaseT. I broke it up like that because I couldnt get the SMC cards to configure in order to load netbsd via ftp. I will get the dmesg out but the immediate problem is with the 3com cards one of which seems to reset when i reboot to a 10Base2 default. So question #1 would be how do I get the media type of 10BaseT  made permanent in the card that keeps reverting to 10Base2? and question #2 is how do i set the dns service search order (what its called on windows) so I can get it working with the Internet connection (cable modem). I got it working as a dhcp client but i want the machines to have static IPs and they had host down error messages when i had them running as dhcp clients and assigned static IPs.

Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org> wrote:

>On Wed, Dec 19, 2001 at 07:36:52AM -0800, -P.Chase wrote:
>>
>> after installing the core netbsd sets, i added the X11R6 sets with the boot floppy ftp utility. the packages installed but X wouldnt start  fatal error: 'cant find mouse no such file or directory'. i toyed with the settings to get it to recognize the mouse but no luck. and i triedthe xf86config but still no mouse. the mouse is a two button model with an old style serial? port connector which is plugged in com1 so i have the path as /dev/com1.
>
>So you want /dev/tty00 as device.
>
>--
>Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
>--

Jingle Your Bells on CollegeClub.com!
Flash e-Cardz, Holiday Gift Guide, articles and more!
<http://navisite.collegeclub.com/channels/holiday>

------=_Part_4569_1842779.1010170564108--