Subject: MDA/CGA cards (was: Re: Serial console?)
To: NetBSD/i386 <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Iggy Drougge <optimus@canit.se>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/26/2001 17:57:55
Eric Schnoebelen skrev:

>   I have tree of the ISA versions that emulate an MDA
>(monochrome display adapter) installed in my systems with ISA
>buses.

That reminds me of something. A while ago, we ran our Pentium BSD server with
a CGA card, but someone took the card out and replaced it with a PCI VGA card,
saying the CGA card slowed the computer down(!) Can this really be? Granted,
the card itself was extremely slow, and the startup memory check was notably
faster, but apart from screen activity, could it really slow a faster PC down
in any aspect, perhaps by introducing wait states or something? The BIOS was
set for CGA/EGA.

--
En ligne avec Thor 2.6a.