Subject: Re: Serious problem with 20011222-1.5ZA snapshot
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Johnny Lam <jlam@jgrind.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/25/2001 23:12:41
On Wed, Dec 26, 2001 at 01:23:31PM +0900, Bang Jun-Young wrote:

> I couldn't get access to NetBSD partition after update crashed. Don't
> know why it crashed. :( I need more investigation with this problem.
>
> Installation didn't work either. Sysinst failed to find distribution
> sets, etc.tgz, base.tgz, kern.tgz, etc. It was so strange since there
> was no longer kern.tgz.
>
> New curses seemed to cause minor problems with sysinst. Asterisk
> box drawings were not displayed, and menu selection bar moved a bit
> oddly.
>
> Reboot from installation disk still didn't work. It caused panic.
> However, I'm not sure if this is a problem of sysinst. Reboot from
> any 1.5.x disks always worked fine.
>
> I also tried 20011206, but it was even worse. It crashed with seg
> fault as soon as the kernel was booted. :(

I guess I should say that I had success with my own update of my system with
the latest i386 1.5ZA snapshot.  I don't use sysinst to update, though; I have
my own shell scripts to automate updating the NetBSD installation since I need
a good updating solution for my RAID root partition setups that I can run
remotely.  I was successful doing it the way I've always done it: extract a
GENERIC kernel, reboot, remove obsolete files, then extract all of the sets.
I don't use softdeps, and I haven't had problems thus far, despite rebuilding
many packages and XFree86-4.1.0.

Is it possible that your problems are due to the installation disks not keeping
up with the other changes in -current?  Some of your problems seem to be
related to sysinst and the INSTALL kernel.  I'll try to reproduce your curses
problems with some of the curses-using packages in pkgsrc.

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@jgrind.org>