Subject: Re: Serial console?
To: Thomas Michael Wanka <Tom@Wanka.at>
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/25/2001 13:05:25
"Thomas Michael Wanka" <Tom@Wanka.at>  wrote:
 > I have a Supermicro 370DLE that (it claims so) can be controlled on
 > BIOS level through a serial port (have not tested it until now). I
 > got no response from either the Bios or board manufacturer if other
 > models support this too.

The problem with a motherboard that supports serial console is that
it solves only part of the problem.

You don't have a hard reset other than using a power-switcher,
so you still have to buy hardware to get remote maintainability,
not to mention some sort of access server.  Then you still miss
the ability to hear the BIOS beeps or have no way to read the
POST port (0x80).