Subject: Re: CD-R or CD-R/W
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Mueller <tmueller@bluegrass.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/24/2001 02:17:26
> (^&  Slogan for the day.  Have fun burning disks.  (BTW, I'm using a
> SCSI Yamaha CD-RW, which I bought when drives hit a new price breakpoint
> and the old models became cheap while they sold out.  It works nicely.
> I've been told that if you go with an ATAPI, you should make sure that
> the ATAPI drive is on a seperate bus from the disk where you have the ISO
> image...dunno if that still holds, or if there's anything that *software*
> can do about it.)

) it still holds!

What happens if you try to record or rewrite a CD, where the CD-RW drive is
master on the secondary IDE channel, and the ISO image is on a drive that is
slave on the secondary IDE channel?

Going the other way, what happens if I attempt to install NetBSD or Linux from
said CD-RW drive onto said hard drive?  I have a mobile rack with a hard disk
from the old computer in a bay, jumpered as slave and connected to secondary
channel, where a Plextor CD-RW is master.  Mobile rack would physically not fit
to connect to primary channel; hit the motherboard between 1/8 inch and 1/4 inch
short of fitting in.  I was thinking of installing Slackware from the new
computer to run on the old computer, since due to a bug, I can't mount the SCSI
CD-ROM in the old computer from Linux (only DOS or OS/2).  NetBSD was never able
to get through the boot process on the old computer.