Subject: Re: Recommendation on NetBSD desktop
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/23/2001 16:12:05
In message <Pine.GSO.4.21.0112201222510.12378-100000@argerich.njit.edu>, Hussai
n Ali writes:
>Motherboard:	Gigabyte GA-7DXR ( how well is the Promise ATA100 Raid
>working with netbsd?) OR Abit KR7A-RAID/DDR VIA KT266A chip

My experience has been mediocre, at best, with VIA chipsets.  I strongly
recommend using ECC memory as a feature on i386 boards; even if you don't
get actual ECC memory, make sure the board can handle it - this seems to
nicely capture the cutoff between crappy boards with cut corners and nice
boards.

Note that some vendors lie; the Abit VP6 is advertised as having ECC, but
it doesn't appear to, and the chipset used on it doesn't have the feature
listed.

-s