Subject: Re: CD-R or CD-R/W
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@freenet.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/21/2001 22:54:24
On 21.12.01, 16:38:12, Andy Ball wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I've wondered about adding a CD-Writer to a NetBSD machine,
> but see no mention of them on the (SCSI and ATAPI) supported
> hardware page...

CD-R and CD-RW drives identify as normal CD-ROM drives to the SCSI (or
ATAPI) bus. As do DVD-ROM drives. Special software (like cdrecord or
cdrdao) knows how to talk to CD-Writers. Recent drives have a common
command set ("mmc") and should "just work". Older models have
proprietary commands and need to be explicitly supported by the
burning software. They still function as normal CD-ROM drives, though.

I think no special software is to just mount ISO-Filesystem
DVD-ROMs. (DVD-Video also has a mountable filesystem, but to
descramble the video streams, a special authentication and decryption
software is needed. I don't know if there is any that actually works
on NetBSD.)

--
Bernd Sieker

NetBSD: Ports to * boards.