Subject: Re: >4GB RAM on i386??
To: None <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@netbsd.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/16/2001 19:28:20
Jason R Thorpe wrote:
>  > probably very lame as it's mostly designed for windows which does not use
>  > any advanced features anyway.
>
> Oh, really?  Windows doesn't use any advanced features?

AFAIK it's necessary to use different API to allocate physical
memory from the upper 32GB under Windows NT, i.e. normal malloc(3)
would only use physical memory <=4GB under Windows NT. IIRC Oracle
on Windows uses these special calls explicitly, at least I recall
reading that in some Oracle docs.
It _is_ really lame. Perhaps they fixed it in XP ...

On the coutrary, e.g. Solaris handles > 4GB memory fine - it "just
works", without need for special calls in applications.  (I've not
tried this, but Sun writes this in their docs).

Jaromir
--
Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org> http://www.NetBSD.org/Ports/i386/ps2.html
-=  Those who would give up liberty for a little temporary safety deserve  =-