Subject: Re: Netbooting again
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Tim <timwa@snowgoons.fsnet.co.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/15/2001 22:45:41
Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 14, 2001 at 01:39:25PM +0000, Tim Walls wrote:
>> Hello again folks,
>>
>> I've coaxed the NetVista's boot PROM to load something over tftp,
>> and this stage of things works fine.  For the sake of seeing what
>> happens, I just gave it a GENERIC 1.5.2 kernel to download.  (Also
>> tried INSTALL.)  I didn't see any mention of a secondary boot loader
>> being necessary for i386 so assumed there wasn't one, although I'm
>> happy to be corrected...
>
> Of course you need one; there's one for disk boot.
> There has been reports that GRUB could be used as secondary boot loader
> to load the kernel over network.

Alas, it seems 'of course you need one' may have been a bit
premature...

It turns out this boot PROM is set up to load a kernel directly,
_without_ a secondary boot loader.  Unfortunately, it will only work
with a Linux kernel...  It won't touch NetBSD and it certainly isn't
talking to GRUB.  It doesn't even attempt to load anything other than
an ELF binary.

Looking on the bright side Linux was up and running easily :-|.  If
I ever get it coaxed into loading a BSD kernel somehow I'll let
the world know...

Thanks anyway,
Tim.

--