Subject: Re: IA-1 "refurbished" units
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Dave Huang <khym@azeotrope.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/15/2001 15:46:39
On Sat, 15 Dec 2001, Peter Seebach wrote:
> normal text is nearly black.  I can't get the IPAQ to do 24-bit color; trying
> to do so turns the display off until I reset the unit.  I've got it working
> just fine with 16-bit color, though.

Yeah, same here... maybe messing with the "monitor"'s refresh rates
would help or something. I don't know why you need to even set refresh
rates for a LCD screen though...

FWIW, I got the IA-1 for $99, SIIG USB CompactFlash reader/writer for
$19, 80MB Lexan CF card for $45, and ADS Technologies USB-10BT Ethernet
for $50. (IA-1 from tigerdirect, everything else from Fry's).

Since I couldn't get the CF reader to work in NetBSD (turns out that
machine's USB ports aren't reliable since the bus speed has been
overclocked), I ended up writing the flash from Windows. The DiskProbe
utility that comes with the Windows 2000 Support Tools will do the
trick, but if you can use NetBSD, dd is much easier :) I wrote the
boot-big.fs floppy image from the NetBSD 1.5 CD to the flash, booted the
IA-1 from that, and did the install over NFS. Now I'm working on getting
it upgraded to -current...

I want to try to make it self-contained, rather than mounting stuff over
NFS, so I need to trim down the amount of stuff that's installed on the
flash. Currently, I'm using about 70megs for NetBSD and X. I still need
to fit a browser on there (Galeon? But the package seems to depend on
full blown Mozilla, which means it uses even more disk space than
Mozilla by itself. Any way to get Galeon with just the Gecko engine and
without the rest of Mozilla?)