Subject: Re: Netbooting NetBSD, IBM NetVista
To: None <tim@snowgoons.fsnet.co.uk>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@netbsd.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/14/2001 23:58:30
Tim Walls wrote:
> I've netbooted plenty of machines (Sun/Mac/SGI,) so I know what I'm doing with
> setting things up on the server side but I've never tried it with an Intel
> client.  I guess I'm going to need a bootloader and a kernel which knows to get
> its root partition over NFS...  Is such a thing readily available for
> NetBSD-i386?

Yes, it's really very same as other boxes - just use

options         NFS_BOOT_DHCP,NFS_BOOT_BOOTPARAM
config		netbsd	root on ? type nfs

and it should "just work".

> Flash slot & 64MB of RAM, so I was hoping I could build a system on the flash
> which mounted an MFS for /var and left everything else RO.  But I know nothing
> about Compact Flash - anyone know if this is remotely feasable?

Yes, this should be doable quite easily. The Compact Flash supports
limited number of overwrites, so it should be suitable. Just remember
to mount the filesystem on flash with noatime, nodevmtime - I think those
are updated even on ro filesystems.

Jaromir
--
Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org> http://www.NetBSD.org/Ports/i386/ps2.html
-=  Those who would give up liberty for a little temporary safety deserve  =-