Subject: Re: Compaq IPAQ IA-1
To: port-i386@netbsd.org <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/13/2001 17:17:16
In message <Pine.NEB.4.40.0112131708440.28341-100000@yerfable.azeotrope.org>, D
ave Huang writes:
>On Thu, 13 Dec 2001, Peter Seebach wrote:
>> If anyone wants to run one of these on NetBSD, I believe I have all the toug
>> stuff fixed.

>Cool :) Anyone know if we have drivers for any USB 802.11 adapter? I
>notice usbdevs mentions the D-Link DWL-120, but I didn't see any driver
>for it.

Haven't seen it yet.

>And what are the chances of getting X and a decent graphical web browser
>installed on the 16 megs of flash that it comes with?

Small.  The Linux distro did it somehow, but I don't know what all they had
on there (and I don't know about the browser).  You'd have to use some kind
of compression - meaning you'd have to lose some of the valuable real memory.

What I want to do is set it up so that the flash bootstraps for a machine with
NFS disks.  What I really want to do is have it bootstrap from /dev/wd0a, and
then mount server:/... as root, and mount /dev/wd0a as /bootstrap or something
similar.  However, my vague recollection is that NetBSD is very attached
to using the original root device as /.  Any easy way to get around that?  If
all else fails, I can probably make a kernel that does the NFS dance for
everything *but* the original kernel load.

-s