Subject: Re: LFS
To: Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@chylonia.3miasto.net>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/08/2001 09:15:50
In message <Pine.NEB.4.33.0112081349570.5062-100000@chylonia.3miasto.net>, Wojc
iech Puchar writes:
>> I'm consolidating support for IBM mainframes under GCC into one port right
>> now (it's all over the place right now), and then I'm going to port the
>> NetBSD kernel.  NetBSD on EBCDIC!!
>
>does it mean all text would be converted?

Around 1980, we were about to attempt the first port of Unix to IBM 370
hardware.  We carefully evaluated the EBCDIC/ASCII question, and
concluded that there were far too many hidden dependencies on ASCII to
stick with EBCDIC.   (For what it's worth, management changed course
when they learned that Amdahl had already done the port, called Au.)

		Full text of "Firewalls" book now at http://www.wilyhacker.com