Subject: XDM - X Login Screen
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: None <mtriebwa@csc.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/06/2001 14:22:28
I am having difficulties with getting XDM to start up automatically at boot
time.  I have checked the archive for this list and followed the
recommendations but to no avail. I am getting xdm-errors such as this:

Fatal server error:
xf86OpenPcvt: Cannot open /dev/ttyE4 (Device not configured)

I have changed the /etc/wscons.conf to look like:
screen  1       -       vt100
screen  2       -       vt100
screen  3       -       vt100
screen  4       -       -
mux           1

The Xservers file looks fine:
:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X vt05

The /etc/ttys file looks fine:
console "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         pc3     off secure
ttyE0   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt220   on secure
ttyE1   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt220   on secure
ttyE2   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt220   on secure
ttyE3   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt220   on secure
.
.

The /etc/rc.conf looks fine:
wscons=YES              wscons_flags=""         # setup wscons from
wscons.conf
xfs=NO                  xfs_flags=""            # X11 font server
xdm=YES                 xdm_flags=""            # X11 display manager;
needs
                                                # wscons=YES for local
displays.wscons=YES

The current configuration is NetBSD 1.5,  XFree86 4.1.0.

Does anyone have any ideas?