Subject: Re: Laptop hardware revisited...
To: Peter Seebach , <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/06/2001 03:08:46
Dunno about current models, but I have a positive (albeit weak) report on
Gateway Solo laptops.  They seem to work reasonably well with NetBSD.
(My ne? ethernet PCMCIA card altnerately comes up as ne2 and ne1 (always
ne2 after a cold boot); it is useless if it comes up as ne1.  That's a
minor annoyance.)

If you're planning buying from a local place, have you tried asking if you
can install the OS on a floor/demo model before you buy?  (From their
point of view, they can always wipe & reinstall.  If they have a good
chance of making a sale, there's little reason to refuse you, unless they
are too busy to deal with reinstalling after you're done.)