Subject: Re: wintel pentium IV
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/05/2001 15:13:57
On Wed, Dec 05, 2001 at 09:36:13PM +0200, Jukka Marin wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 05, 2001 at 07:34:44PM +0000, Dan Melomedman wrote:
> > It's not worth buying for most of the applications, as PIII and Athlon
> > outperform it at a cheaper cost. It's worth buying for some specialty fp
> > applications. The chip is mostly a scam.
>
> I've heard that Athlon is faster in fp than P4.  What's the truth? :)

The truth is, if your compiler is good enough to always output SSE code
for all floating-point operations (including "scalar" ones) so you never
pay the huge penalty for switching back and forth to x87 mode, P4 beats
the pants off anything else that will execute x86 instructions.

    And now he couldn't remember when this passion had flown, leaving him so
  foolish and bewildered and astray: can any man?
						   William Styron