Subject: Re: Disk-light workstation?
To: Andy Ball <ball@cyberspace.org>
From: Tracy J. Di Marco White <gendalia@iastate.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/03/2001 20:02:16
Andy Ball <ball@cyberspace.org> wrote
}However, if I had a huge ROM disk (or even a CD-ROM!), how
}much of the filesystem hierarchy could be read-only?  Is
}this even a remotely sensible question?

I'm setting up several (10-20) machines to do network monitoring that
run from CD.  How much can be read-only depends on what you want to be
able to change.  I'm putting /var on disk so that logs are written,
but if you don't want local logs, you can always syslog to a remote
machine (something I'm also working on).  Some files in /etc you may
want to be able to change, but I'm getting around this by using
rewritables that I can just pull and recreate when I need to change
passwords or such.

Tracy J. Di Marco White
Project Vincent Systems Manager
gendalia@iastate.edu