Subject: Re: Disk-light workstation?
To: NetBSD/i386 <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Iggy Drougge <optimus@canit.se>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/03/2001 17:40:50
Andy Ball skrev:

  GF>> How big a disc do you have in the client machines?

>I don't know yet.  This was a semi-hypothetical question,
>although I do have some systems that might be suited to this
>type of configuration.  I think they generally have disks of
>just over 100Mb, although I've not verified this.  How does
>128Mb sound for a target?  128Mb solid state flash 'disks'
>are available (although I'd probably be using mechanical
>disks myself).

You'll get a full root partition into 128 MB without trouble. I installed
the 1.5Y snapshot last week on a 120 MB HD. I had to leave out all of X and
the compiler set, but the rest of the sets were installed on one root, one usr
and 10 MB of swap.

>However, if I had a huge ROM disk (or even a CD-ROM!), how
>much of the filesystem hierarchy could be read-only?  Is
>this even a remotely sensible question?

AFAIK, the point of /var, and the idea of putting that on a separate
partition, as many UNIX installs urge you to, is to put all the documents
which tend to be regularly edited there, so that you may write-protect the
rest of your file systems. I think you would like to put /etc on the /var
partition, too, at least I tend to edit that a lot.

--
En ligne avec Thor 2.6a.

"Wer nichts zu sagen hat, sagt es auf Englisch."
(-Walter Krämer, bezügl. Anglizismen.)