Subject: Installation via network booting
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Yoshiharu Iguchi <iguchi@netpochi.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/02/2001 06:41:16
Hello,

I bought a new notebook PC (Sony PCG-SRX7) running Windows XP
and am trying to install the latest NewBSD into my little box. Since this
PC doesn't have CD-ROM and floppy, I have to install from network.
(Yes, this supports BIOS netboot.)

Is it possible to install NetBSD with above conditions?? I don't mind
deleting
existing OS and create NetBSD partition as a whole. But, I want to make sure
(booting multi-user mode) if all works okay before deleting all.

Also, whenver I booted as netboot BIOS mode, it always tries to run as DHCP
client. But, I don't understand how it loads kernel (or OS) using DHCP.
(Because it tries to obtain IP address without OS.)

I have already looked at Diskless installation. Is this right document I
should
read??

Thank you very much,

--Iguchi